When you set up connections in your Visor workbook, it’s possible to pull and push data to Connected Apps like Jira, Salesforce, and HubSpot. Oftentimes, it might be confusing to know when to do a Sync and when to do an Import. Luckily, we're here to help!
What is an import?
An import is the process of pulling in any records from your Connected App that match your existing import query.
Let's say your query is for all Jira Issues with status "To Do". You run an import. Visor asks Jira "what Issues do you have with status 'To Do'?" Since Visor is not only asking for NEW Issues but also EXISTING Issues that match this query, any existing Issues in your Visor workbook that match this query will also be updated on import. However, let's say you updated two statuses for Issues you have in Visor to status "Done". Because these Issues no longer match the query, even if they exist in your Visor workbook, you will not see updates from your Connected App to these Issues.
When to do an import:
- When you are first bringing your information into Visor
- When you have new issues you'd like to bring into Visor
- When you have updated your query to have different parameters
What is a sync?
A sync is the process of first pushing the changes made in Visor to your Connected App and then pulling in any updates for existing records from your Connected App to Visor.
Let's say I have a workbook in Visor with 10 Issues (or rows) in it. I have updated the Assignee on three of these rows and made no other changes. When I click "Sync," Visor will first push the changes I made to my Connected App. Then, Visor will check my Connected App to see if any changes have been made. Syncs will NOT pull in new Issues because Syncs do not check the import query upon operation.
When to do a sync:
- When you have made changes in Visor you want pushed to your Connected App
- When you would like existing issues in your workbook updated even though you've set a new or different default import query
- When you want to both push and pull information from Visor to your Connected App
How do Syncs and Imports affect Sync Credits?
For more information about Sync Credit usage, check out this article.
Still need some help? Reach out to our Customer Success team at email@example.com